Saturday, January 10, 2009

I AM A NERD.

This morning Del and I went to Matt's Robotics competition.  He's in a robotics class and club at school.  It's like playing with remote control legos on steroids.  They program their robots to do certain tasks and requirements, and they are scored for a bunch of stuff I don't get, but I cheer nonetheless and video and take pictures like the proud mama I am.  

This is the cute pep-talk before the competition.  They even say a prayer in their huddle.  This is important stuff!  I think Matt's the ringleader - Chief Nerd - if you will.  That's my boy!

Watching their robot do it's tasks.  They even have referees, but they're really just judges - jotting down each task completed.


The team after their competition.  We don't know how they placed yet, as they have more tasks to do without spectators.  He's there from 6am to 6pm.  If they place in this series, they get to go to the finals in Georgia.  (Addendum: His team did NOT place for Nationals.  What I didn't know at the time - this was the Texas FINALS.  They all got a medal for participation, so he was happy.  He said it was lots of fun.)  I didn't want to leave you hanging, because I can tell by the sheer volume of comments, ya'll were hanging on the edge of your seat waiting to hear the outcome!  LOL!)

After the nerd (I say this endearingly, as the apple doesn't fall far from the tree) convention, Del took me shopping.  Tomorrow is my birthday.  (Don't freak out, if you haven't sent any gifts or cards yet, you still have time.  OK fine, J/K.)  He took me to Fry's Electronics - one of my favorite stores.  I got a new color laser printer, that I've had my eye on for MONTHS.  Suuuuhweeeet!  My husband rocks - hardcore.


This is the awesome shelf Del made last weekend to store all my fun stuff, especially the new beast sitting on top.  It's a fax, scanner and copy machine as well - SCORE!  I am my mother's daughter, what can I say - we're generations of nerds.

Valentine's Day is coming up, and I already know what I'm getting, and I can't help but still be excited.  Last year Del got me Apple One to One personal training sessions for a year.  It's such a good gift, and he said he was just going to renew it again for this year!   Nothing says I love you, like computer classes.  

Forget chocolate and flowers - we have nerd love.



7 comments:

Ruthy Butler said...

So how do you actually cheer at one of these things? Looks like fun though! Love nerds!!!

Karen said...

Great Valentines Gift! I'll always take anytype of electronic gift or training!!

Looks like Matt had fun with his project!!

Love,
Mom

Lori said...

Happy Birthday! What a sweet husband! Enjoy:)

gamacks said...

But I would have gone to the finals in GA.
Uncle Eddie

Sparkle Mama said...

Soooooooooooo sweet- I love NERD love ;) To give a shout out to all the nerds out there then check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw

By the way- that robot convention/contest thing looks cool.

Sparkle Mama said...

P.S. Happy Stink'n Birthday! I totally didn't know that it was your special day :) I am so glad you moved here. You have brought so many people joy, laughter, and good hair! Thanks for being you!

Ken said...

Totally dig the nerd love. If Keri only shared that same love it would be like giving myself a present for special days of the year.

Lucky...