Sunday, January 18, 2009

Temple Trip....

Yesterday I had the opportunity to go with my boys to do Baptisms for the dead at the Temple.  I haven't done that for 20 years or more.  I was excited to go to San Antonio, as it was my first time to visit that Temple.  It has beautiful stained glass windows everywhere - gorgeous.  

My job was to hand the towels to the youth when they got out of the water.  A few of the kids and leaders brought their own family names to do.

One big, burly, intimidating man that looks like Mr. Clean watched closely as one of the youth was baptized for his wife's grandparent.  After the baptism, he gave the confirmation blessing.  I watched as he got choked up performing the ordinance.  So then of course I started getting weepy thinking about what this means to their family.  

His wife is in the Relief Society presidency, and told everyone during the "good news" minute that her grandparents were just baptized yesterday in the Temple, and that she's so excited for them to get sealed so then her own parents could receive the same ordinances, and that they all would soon be sealed as a family.  I can't imagine how long they've waited for this.  The joy they must be feeling.

I can only relate it to last June, when Ruthy went through the temple for the first time.  All eight siblings including our parents were there together standing in a circle, just looking around at each other and crying.  It felt like forever in the making.  Love you.  


4 comments:

Holli said...

My job is almost always to hand towels to the youth. I love the view from that area. One of my favorite things is to go with the youth to do baptisms. How awesome to go with your kids. And what a special experience!

Ginger said...

Trayser went on his first temple trip last month. It was so neat. When he came home he said he wished he could go every month. I was so glad he had such a good experience and recognized what a sacred, special place the temple is.

I'm glad you were able to go with your kids. I'm not in YW anymore so I don't know when I will go with mine again.

Sparkle Mama said...

Okay... now I am tearing up! That was a beautiful description- loved it!

Ken said...

That's so cool, all of you guys in standing together in a circle at the temple. I hope that happens someday for my family. That would be pretty special.