Thursday, February 5, 2009

Babies, Babies, Babies...

A couple weeks ago I got on the computer to chat with Del.  We do this at least 5 times a day - chat, video chat, whatever.  He's my favorite person to talk to.  (sometimes my ONLY person during the day when all the kids are in school.)

Here's how it went - 

Kristin -  "What would you say if I told you I wanted 2 more babies?"

Del - "I'd say you are CRAZY!"

Kristin - "We couldn't just have ONE more, because it would be like having an only child, cuz Rylee would be 7 by the time this one was born.  Therefore, we'd have to have TWO more so they'd have a buddy to grow up with."

Del - "We could adopt."

Kristin - "Yeah, that would be good, then we wouldn't have to have two more.  We could adopt one just under Rylee - another girl to even out the Claridge Bunch.  3 boys, 3 girls."

The conversation went on for probably half an hour longer, but then that was it.  No plans of action, just more of a "what-if" type conversation.  Del doesn't fight it, he just goes with the flow trying to keep up with my ramblings.

That night when he came home, he asked if I was still wanting another baby.  After the nightly havoc of school science projects, homework, reading, times-table flash cards, piano practice, etc. "NOPE, I'm good" I said.  The moment passed.  Del let out a sigh of relief.  He said he already feels guilty for not spending enough time with the ones he has.  I agreed, subject dropped.

THEN.... a couple days ago I was at Walmart waiting for a prescription to be filled, so I wandered over to the travel-size stuff.  I picked up a tiny bottle of Johnson's Baby Lotion.  I bought it.  I took it home, lathered up my hands, and just sat there and took in the sweet baby aroma.




Seriously, it happens so quickly.  One day,  you're knee-deep in poopy diapers, wipes, formula, and sleepless nights thinking it will never end.  And the next, you're wondering when you stopped buying baby lotion?  It wasn't a conscious decision NOT to buy it anymore.  I have no idea when I stopped.  I miss it.  I miss the babies, MY babies. 

That night when Del called to chat before bed, (he's in CA all week) I told him about the lotion.  He's really worried, ok - panic-stricken is a better description.  

He said he thinks I'm a nut-job (and I just laugh, because I think I am too ) he says "what kind of person buys baby lotion then lathers themselves up in it just to sit there and smell it?"  He continued, "What you SHOULD do is go borrow one of their dirty diapers, and sniff THAT every time you think about having more kids!"

I laughed hard.

So - NO announcements at this time.  LOL.


10 comments:

cynthia said...

YOU ARE FREAKING HILARIOUS

Natalie@Endless Crafting said...

I am cry laughing! It's so true though, Madison isn't even 2 and the thought of not having a baby around is sad.....sort of. (WE ARE DONE!) The time goes by so fast. You should have done it the way we did...about 4 years apart. except for Madison she is 6 years apart. Then you always have one home for a while anyway. :) Maybe you can do day care! haha!

Ryan and Shannon Rapier said...

Tell Del to hold out and be strong. Our new one isn't even a year yet and Shannon wants to open talks about another. Uh-uh! She has been cleaning out the baby clothes this week which makes it 20 times worse. The lotion sounds like something she would do. Good luck which ever way you go, but I will pray for Del.
Ryan

Collette said...

Lol! You're a funny girl! I probably would go buy baby lotion too! Except I really am having a baby! You want to come help me with my newborn in June? That just may cure you of any baby cravings! You can change all the dirty diapers, and I'll turn her your direction when she spews! =)

Jared and Janelle said...

You got me. I really thought you might be having another baby. I have to admit this would be a weird way to announce it. But whatever floats your boat. Lol. You can smell all three of my kids diapers anytime you want.

Sherra said...

Kristin - You are too funny! You still crack me up - 20 years later.

Rushell said...

You can barrow mine any time you want! I won't even charge you! I still soak all three of them in that stuff, just take your pick of newborn, two, or four!

Shelley & Scott said...

you're so funny, kristin. i don't think the lotion thing is crazy at all. after trying to have a baby for years, when we were finally having gracie scott and i both would sneak into her soon to be nursery alone and sniff the lotion. i was looking for him one night and caught him in there in the rocking chair just smelling the lotion. babies make us do crazy things. gotta love every minute of it. it's gone all too quickly.

Sparkle Mama said...

Y'all crack me up!

Ken said...

We've got some for you if you need the deterent. (dirty diapers that is)