Friday, December 5, 2008

Bug's Christmas Present...

We've been promising Bug for YEARS that as soon as we have a house that has a big enough backyard, we'd get him the dog he's always wanted. He's had his heart set on a yellow lab FOREVER. He has been studying  books and magazines on how to train and take care of them for awhile now.

We finally found one that didn't cost an arm and a leg.  She's stinkin' cute, but man, does she make messes and smell!  (Remember, I have a super bionic nose!)

My family grew up with NO pets. OK, we had a dog "Speckles" once that wouldn't stop barking at the birds in the trees, so he lasted a whole month - possibly 2, but definitely not longer than that. I have no experience with animals - no LOVE for animals, and my kids think I'm the meanest mom alive because I don't want the dog IN THE HOUSE chewing up everything, peeing, and pooping anywhere she pleases. ACK!  I promise, I'm trying to love her.  Today was the first day I was home with her by myself.  I fed her and played with her a little in the backyard.  I was very pleased with myself.

So without further ado - here is Sarah. (Kill me now.)



11 comments:

Mhari said...

That dog is absolutely precious. I am the total opposite of you and love animals. If you can get past the potty training stage it isn't so bad. Patience is a virtue right? :-)

Collette said...

So I think I'm just like you! When we got Harley I had to get through each day. The common phrase of the day, was "DOG! I hope you make the cut!" Lol! If you can keep your patience through the puppy stage (till they're almost 1!!) I think you'll be fine! Just remember... Dog's will learn just about ANYTHING super fast if you have treats on hand! Give them to her like CRAZY in the beginning and she'll be a good dog!

P.S. Harley is almost 2... I think I've finally decided he made the cut! loL!

Ryan and Shannon Rapier said...

Completely with you on the not wanting a dog messing up my house thing. We just got our dog a few months ago and am now only more entrenched in the idea that dogs belong outside. I have trouble with the fact that the dog messes up my backyard. I think I would have a coronary if we actually let him live in the house. Good luck. He is cute by the way.

Unknown said...

Good luck, I'll pray for you!

Rushell said...

Let me know how this goes now that you are the coolest mom ever. I can't wait till my kids think I am the meanest mom ever because we will never have any pets either. GOOD LUCK!

Betsy said...

She is a cute little puppy!

I used to say never on the dog front. Then never on a house pet.

Never say never.

And you thought you were done with the potty-training-get-into-everything stage. welcome to having a 2 year old for the rest of your life!!!

N8ster said...

Congratulations on your new dog.

Jared said...

Mental note: Never promise the kids any animals of any kind under any circumstances. Hope I remember that one.

The Ratliff's said...

We had a very spirited conversation with our dd on this very subject recently. I think we may have left hope - maybe a turtle???

Trisha said...

Oh my, Sarah is so adorable!

Sparkle Mama said...

Emma loves Sarah...she is looking forward to her next hair cut so she can see Sarah again :)