Monday, December 22, 2008

Where do you hide YOUR presents?

Our kids are at the age where they SNOOP.  Shocking, I know, we never did that.

 We thought about the attic, but it's upstairs by the kids' rooms and they're very light sleepers.  There's no way we'd be able to pack them in and out without them noticing the ruckus.

At first we had them in the back of our old van (it's been sitting in our garage for the last 3 months) with a blanket over the loot and the doors locked, keys hidden.  But after Del got the van registered in Texas and a new battery installed, he finally put it on Craig's List last Friday morning.  It sold that same day by 2:00pm!  Wooo Hooo - but there goes our hiding place.  While the kids were at school, Del brought in all the gifts and dumped them in our bedroom.  I had clients in my chair until the kids got home from school, and forgot about them completely.  

That morning, Matt had one of his "I don't want to go to school this morning, because I'm a hormonal, grouchy teenager" episodes, and by the time he walked in the door after school, he was feeling bad for ruining everyone's morning - AGAIN.  (BTW- we fixed that problem - if he ruins any more mornings, he's grounded for that day.  He's been MUCH happier now - LOL.)  Because he was feeling bad about the morning drama, he offered to clean my bedroom to make amends.  Isn't that SWEET of him?  I forgot the presents were laying around my room though, so I told him to wait a few minutes while I took care of something - I hastily went in my room and locked the door.  I thought about shoving them in my closet, but there's no lock, and there's not enough space under the bed either!

"I've got it!!"  






My kids gross-out at the thought of ANYTHING smelly, dirty, or clogged in the bathroom.  They'll NEVER on their life risk going into a bathroom if the toilet is clogged.  My toilet room!  It has a lock on it!  It really sucks in the middle of the night, or this weekend when Del wasn't feeling so good, and had to yack 7 times.  I had a client that day, and he didn't want to throw up in the guest bathroom while the client was sitting a few feet away, so he did it in HIS bathroom sink!  BLECHK!  Sorry, honey.  TMI?

He asked if we were going to move the presents, but we really don't know WHERE to move them, so that's where they're staying until the big day.  Ingenious, I know.

The kids still haven't caught on. 

So where is YOUR stash?


12 comments:

Ryan and Shannon Rapier said...

Eeeexcellent Smithers. Nicely done. We are almost at the stage where hiding places are going to become a bigger issue. This would be a good idea if Logan didn't basically demand to use our toilet room instead of the kids everytime. I am sure we will come up with somethings.

Anonymous said...

we use under the stairs closet. We put a locked key lock and we have the key. During the rest of the Year we store all the Christmas decorations in the same place.

Ginger said...

That is too funny. And I can relate to "mouthy" teenagers as well! As far as hiding spots go we have to find new spots every year. One year it was the camper, sometimes it's under my BIG pile of quilt jeans in my closet, sometimes it's in Brian's gun safe. Sometimes I find stuff months after Christmas because I can't remember all of the hiding spots and forget I got it! :)

Emily H said...

That is too funny. It would be good to use if I could use another bathroom besides mine. I can't. All of my sisters stuff is in one of our garages so our stuff is stashed behind all hers.

Natalie@Endless Crafting said...

We have threatened all the kids that if they dare go into our bedroom closet Santa will not be coming! So far that has worked. I don't know how much longer though. We also have used Doug's trunk or a closet in the garage. Although as our family gets bigger the more junk we collect which leaves little space for the extras. Gotta love it! :)

Betsy said...

THat's a great hiding place. Our toilet doesn't have a lock, we'd have to just lock the bedroom door.

You are welcome to hide them at my house. (3 attics and lots of closets the kids never look in) Then you can have your toilet back:)

I'm serious.

Holli said...

We have one of those big cases that goes on top of the van when we travel long distance. It's in the garage, so we put stuff in there. I also hide some in my closet behind my clothes. But my kids are still fairly too young to go looking for stuff.

Collette said...

Mason is too young to go hunting, but miraculously he still found a few things! LoL! I guess next year I need to start getting sneaky! We hid them in my closet this year and one game of Hide and Seek and he found them, QUICK! I remember when you hid them at my house! That was perfect! Still wish I was close enough to do that!

MaryAnn said...

It's not so hard to hide a lump of coal!

Janis said...

Your blog is so funny. So many things have been cracking me up.

It was good to hear from you.

After hearing your policeman story, I am glad you didn't sing your song to him. You stayed nice and polite.

We store our presents in the empty suit cases that sit in the garage.

Take care.

Sparkle Mama said...

All I have to say is... YOU ROCK! Way to be clever and sneaky...that is what Mom's do best right? ha ha

Ken said...

How you guys came up with that I have no idea. Brilliant I say, brilliant.

Noone messes with a backed up crapper.