Friday, November 14, 2008

Pioneer Day...

Yesterday I was informed by my neighbor that it was Pioneer Day at school today for the elementary kids.  They've been studying about the western movement, so the kids were supposed to bring their own lunches in a pail, and dress up like pioneers.  A flyer went home with the kids when MY kids were absent last week from our Colorado adventure so we knew nothing about it.

As I was at Enrichment last night, Sydney left a message on my cell asking if I'd buy her some overalls to wear today.  Yeah right, I'll get right on that.  I got home after Del put the kids to bed and didn't have a chance to talk to Sydney about the attire/costume plans.

This morning Syd comes in the bedroom all excited about the overalls she was planning to wear today - "Mom, where are the overalls you bought me?"  I chuckled, and said I was sorry, that I didn't get any.  If this was something mandatory and something I thought she'd actually wear later, I might have considered buying them, but I explained to her why I didn't:

1.  "You told me about pioneer day THE NIGHT BEFORE pioneer day.  We need to plan ahead better."
2.  "Just because you ask for me to buy something, does NOT mean I'm going to run right out and buy it."  I'm a mean Mom.
3.  "Pioneer girls didn't wear overalls - BOYS did.  Girls wore dresses."

She was sooooo stinkin' irate at me that she decided not to dress up at all.  (Whatever - no skin off my back.)  She was grouchy all morning - not a fun way to start out the day - crying, whining, pouting, dirty looks - I got it all.  

This is what she wore - jeans, t-shirt, and pony-tail. NOT pioneer-like. As you can see - still mad at me - "Doooon't taaaaake myyyyyy pictuuuuure!"  (Look at that face.)


Rylee was very excited to dress like a pioneer.  I asked her if she wanted to wear the dress Grandma Junie made for her with some boots.  She said, "Mom, that would look WEEEIRD."  I said "No sir, that's what Laura on Little House on the Prairie wore.  She's staring at me like I'm retarded - "What's that?"  No time to explain.

She was game - excited to dress like a pioneer.  I think she looked very Laura-esque. 
(She's obsessed with "PEACE" lately.)


I tried to convince Travis to dress up, but he was like - NO WAY! I didn't push it. So here's HIS Pioneer Day outfit - t-shirt and shorts.


This afternoon when the kids walked in the door from school, the first thing Rylee said was,

"Mom!  Pioneer Day was only for THIRD GRADE!!!!

I laughed - OUT LOUD.  

Can you imagine the embarrassment Travis would've endured if he would've dressed up?  4th graders can be very mean, so I'm really glad he dodged that bullet.  

Sydney didn't care after all - there were lots that didn't dress up. (I was confident she wouldn't be the only one and DIE of embarrassment.)  

Rylee pulled it off though - she didn't care.  I asked her if anybody said something to her about her outfit - she said "No, but nobody else dressed up!"  

Wooooops!


1 comment:

Karen said...

This is hillarious - only the 3rd grade was to dress up. Rylee looked really cute like a pioneer girl though.

Gma Karen