Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Trip to Colorado....

(That's what all the yummy food was for - to keep me awake. I think I gained 10 pounds - 5 up, 5 back. I refuse to step on the scale to prove it.)

We went to the dentist here in Austin a few weeks ago - NOT fun.  He was a moron - so I called my brother Eric to ask his opinion about what the moron wanted to do, and he said we should just take a trip to Denver and he'd do all our teeth for free.  We LOVE HIM.  He didn't know what he was in for.

After cussing and discussing with Del - we figured out that since gas has gone down, it'd be cheaper to take the trip there - including staying in a hotel once on the way up and again on the way back - 15 hour drive, ME being the lone licensed driver.  Del had to be in CA all week for meetings, so it was the perfect time to go.

We took 2 different routes for the way up and back so we'd have different scenery.  On the way up we went through Oklahoma and Kansas and then left to Colorado.  

We left Texas at noon on Wednesday, and by the time we reached Oklahoma City that night, it was pouring buckets of water on the car, and I couldn't see 5 feet in front of me.  A bunch of cars were parked under an overpass to wait it out awhile, but on the other side of the overpass, the street lights hit the concrete just perfectly to make it look like a LAKE on the other side.  I FREAKED out!  I slammed on my brakes thinking that it was a flash flood.  As I got closer, I realized it was just the lighting, but my heart felt like a jack-hammer in my chest.  I got off the next exit and went straight to a hotel, as I called Del to tell him we weren't going to make it to Wichita as originally planned.  As I flipped through channels in OK, the newscaster said there were flash flood warnings, and tornado warnings all night.  Hallelujah - we're so glad we stopped when we did.  Good thing we prayed before we left.

We got up early the next morning (weather was beautiful and clear) to continue our journey to Colorado.   The winds in Kansas were sooooo strong that we passed TWO semi-trucks turned over from the WIND!  I got a few pics of the kids in a field at one of our stops.  Rylee kept getting car-sick because the wind was jarring the car so much - I was white-knuckling the steering wheel the entire way through Kansas.  

We made it to Eric's Thursday night just in time for Hawaiian Haystacks - yummy.  Tosha's awesome - thanks for the hospitality.

Kansas landscape - flatter than flat.

Huddling together, because it's really cold and windy!

I love it when they're all laughing together and getting along!

I LOVE this one of Syd. She was mad at me, because I wanted one more picture - but this is the best one of the wind blowing her hair into devil horns!
She's STILL mad at me for it.

Rylee outside waiting for me to get out of the car to go potty at the gas station. It was so windy, I had to snap a pic.
She was mad! I like to torture my children.
I'm going for Mom of the Year.

After I opened the door - she looks like Cousin IT.

Mini-ME.

She likes to ham it up.

Just like me.

She could go on...

and on....

and on.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Love Rylee's pics. She's hilarious.